Cheesy Bacon Chicken Nuggets - Low Carb & Keto
Move over McDonald's there's a new chicken nugget in Town and the're fantastic! I had been dreaming about this recipe for a few days now and originally was going to make it out of ground chicken or turkey. But then I thought, it would taste to much like chicken meatballs and that was not the goal. I wanted real food that taste great so I opted for boneless skinless chicken breast.
I have to say, When I was finished I was quite impressed with myself. I think these nuggets taste even better than your average fast food joint. The best part is that they are only 1.8 grams of carbs per serving. Oh wait is that the best part? Even better you can make up a couple of big batches and pop them in the freezer! Now that's convenient and still taste great heating up in the oven or microwave!
Step 1 - Prepare your chicken and bacon. Boil your chicken breast on the stove top until done, about 15 minutes and then set aside to let cool. I boil to the chicken to keep the outside of the chicken moist. Then you will want to fry 3 strips of bacon to a crisp and set aside to let cool.
Step 2 - Make up your Chicken Mixture. In a food processor, (I use just a tiny counter top one that works well) Grind your cooked chicken breast until fine and then pour into a bowl. Next add your crisp bacon to the food processor to make bacon bits and add to your chicken. Lastly pour 1 cup of shredded cheese into the food processor and grind to make a grated consistency. Mix all the ingredients together and then add in 3 large eggs for binding. Mix well and move onto step 3.
Step 3 - Making your nuggets. First prepare your outer crust or batter by mixing together 6 tbsp of almond flour and 3 tbsp of grated Parmesan cheese. Roll your chicken mixture between your palms to create small or medium balls and then flatten between your finger tips (you can make chicken patties as well if you prefer) Next dip your chicken nugget into the almond flour parm mixture until all sides are well coated. The egg in the chicken mixture should be wet enough to not need an egg wash. Place your frying pan on medium heat and cover the bottom of the pan with cooking oil. Once oil is heated up you can add your chicken nuggets and fry on each side for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let drain onto a paper towel to let oil drain off and ready to serve. Use your favorite dipping sauce and your good to go! Important, Make sure oil is hot before you add your nuggets to fry.
Note: I apologize for the dark photos, The lighting today just did not cooperate with me.
Bon Appetit! Hope you enjoy these. Please feel free to leave feedback or rate this recipe. I would love to hear how they turn out for you! Click here for more Low Carb & Keto Recipes!
- 3 Small Chicken Breast - Skinless
- 3 Slices of Bacon - Cooked to a crisp
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup of Shredded Cheese - (I use a 4 cheese but you can use any)
- 6 Tbsp Almond Flour
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- Oil for frying
- Cook Chickens in boiling water, about 15 minutes. To keep the chicken moist with out a crusty outer layer, I just boil the chicken breast down.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Fry 3 slices of bacon to a crisp and then remove from heat and let cool.
- Place your chicken in a food processor and grind until fine. I just use a small counter top Hamilton Beach food possessor, it does the job.. Place ground chicken breast in a bowl.
- Place bacon in food processor and grind into bacon bits and add to bowl of chicken.
- Add 1 Cup of shredded cheese into your food processor, important to make find grated cheese. Add to chicken mixture.
- Mix ingredients well and then add 3 large eggs mixing well.
- In a small bowl mix together 6 tbsp of almond flour and 3 tbsp of Parmesan cheese. This is your outer crust batter. The chicken mixture will be wet enough so no egg wash is needed.
- Form small or medium balls out of your chicken mixture and flatten between your fingers. (you can make chicken patties as well if you wish) Dip chicken nugget into almond flour mixture making sure to coat both sides entirely.
- Heat your frying pan and pour enough cooking oil to completely cover the bottom of the pan. Cook on medium heat.
- Add your nuggets to the oil once the oil is well heated and fry on each side for about 5 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from pan when done and place on a paper towel to let oil drain off and then ready to serve.