Chipotle Inspired Pie
I would eat Chipotle everyday if I could. I have actually been craving a nice big fat Chipotle Steak Burrito for ages! To bad for me, you won't find one in England. Ahhh, but I can make my own, well to best of my abilities to whats available. Rather than put together just 1 burrito I thought to myself, about all the different Mexican dishes I have had in the past and came up with Chipotle pie with all the goodness tucked into each layer. Well, let me tell you this recipe did not disappoint. I was so darn pleased with myself when I finished and dug into my first bite. If you love Chipotle, than you will love this pie! If you've never had Chipotle, I'm sorry your missing out! Many smiles behind that statement. but don't fret read on and you can easily get a taste with this scrumptious dish!
For starters, I just want to say, I usually get the Steak burrito's as they are my favorite and that is what I used in this recipe. If you are impartial to the beef, pork or chicken barbacoa you can certainty substitute any meat you wish! You can also sub the beans or anything else you like with your Chipotle! Make it your favorite dish!
Step 1 in prepping is getting your meat cooked and ready. I fry up my beef tips in a tbsp of oil until completely cooked. I then cook up 1 cup of long grain rice. When the rice is cooled, I mix in 1 bunch of chopped cilantro and 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and set aside. Now lets get onto the good stuff.
Step 2 is putting all the layers together Using a large deep pie pan or round glass Pyrex pan. Start off by putting your first tortilla on the bottom of the pan and spreading 3/4 of a can of reried beans completely covering the tortilla.
Place another tortilla over the top of your bean and cheese layer. Spread 2 tbsp of enchilada sauce over the top of the tortilla, much like you would spread pizza sauce. Layer your cooked beef tips over the sauce and then sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese over the top.
Next up, place another tortilla over the top of your beef layer. Spread 2 tbsp of enchilada sauce to cover tortilla and then sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese over top. Pour in the rice mixture and spread evenly over the top of the sauce and cheese. Place your last tortilla over the top and tuck in all the edges downward or so they face into the pie. Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese on top and place in the oven at 375 degrees. Bake for 25 minutes and remove. Let cool for 5 minutes and ready to serve! you should get 6 pie slices and can slice from pan or remove from pan by placing a plate over the top and turning over onto place. I hope you love this little number as much as I do. Please feel free to leave comments or feedback!
- 4 Large Tortilla's
- 1 Can refried beans
- 1 Can enchilada sauce
- 1 Pound beef tips
- 1 Cup long grain rice
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 16 oz bag of shredded cheddar cheese
- Garlic salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Sour Cream
- heat up 1 tbsp oil (or more if you desire) in your skillet and add your beef tips. Season beef tips with garlic salt to taste and cook on medium heat until done about 10 minutes. Set aside once fully cooked.
- Cook 1 cup of rice per package directions depending on which kind of rice you use. I used long grain as it is not to sticky for this recipe. Try to avoid sticky white rices. Once fully cooked set a side to cool.
- Chop up cilantro and mix into rice along with ¼ cup of shredded cheddar cheese and set aside.
- Use a large and deep pie pan or circle Pyrex pan. Place your first tortilla at the bottom of the pan and then evenly cover the tortilla with ¾ of a can of refried beans. Sprinkle a light layer of cheese on top of the beans.
- Place another tortilla over the top of your beans and cheese.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce over the tortilla and spread around as you would with a pizza until tortilla is completely covered. Add your beef tips on top of the sauce and then sprinkle some more shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place another tortilla on top of your beef and cheese.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce over the tortilla and spread around until completely covered. Add your rice mixture and spread around until the tortilla is completely covered.
- Place your last tortilla on top and tuck the edges of the tortilla inward or down. Sprinkle the remainder of your shredded cheddar cheese on top and pop in the oven. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
- When you remove from heat let cool for about 5 minutes. You can slice in pan or simply put a plate over the top and flip pan over, tapping the bottom of pan to make sure tortilla is loose and then use another plate to flip back over. Slice up into 6 pie slices and serve.
- Top with your favorite Chipotle ingredients such as sour cream, guacamole, tomatoes, onions, corn etc.