- 1 onion
- 1 large Mushroom (portobello mushroom)
- 1 gammon steak or ham steak
- 1/4 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of milk
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 Cups potatoes (par boiled and thinly sliced)
- salt and pepper to taste
- pre-heat oven to 375 dgrees
- Par boil potatoes until slight soft but not fully cooked.
- While potatoes are boiling, cut gammon steak up into cubes and chop onion and mushroom.
- Mix cubes gammon steak, onion, mushroom and 3/4 of your cheese in a bowl and set aside.
- rinse boiled potatoes in cold water until cooled and then slice thinly.
- Grease baking pan butter and layer the bottom of your pan with half of the potatoes
- pour gammon mixture over the potatoes.
- To make cream sauce place your saucepan over medium heat and melt butter. Add flour to melted butter and continually whisk until fully mixed together in a doughy consistency. Slowly pour milk into pan while whisking vigorously. When sauce is nearly finished add thyme and salt and pepper for taste.
- Pour sauce over gammon mixture in baking pan and layer the top with the remaining potatoes. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Place in oven and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes and let stand for 5 minutes before serving!
Creamy Scalloped Potato Hotdish
Bring those boring scalloped potatoes up a notch and add in some meat and veggies to make this hotdish a full meal packed with lots of goodness! I just love a good hotdish just about anytime of the year, but this Creamy Scalloped Potato Hotdish is the perfect comfort food in the winter.
1. Par boil potatoes until softened but not fully cooked
2. While potatoes are boiling, cut up gammon steaks into cubes and chop your onion and mushrooms. place them into a bowl and add cheese. Mix together thoroughly and set aside.
3. Rinse boiled potatoes under cold water until cooled and then slice thinly and set aside.
4. Grease your baking pan with butter and layer half of your potatoes on the bottom.
5. Pour gammon mixture over the top of the potatoes and set aside
6. To make sauce place sauce pan over medium heat and melt butter. Add flour and whisk until butter and flour are completely mixed. Pour in milk a little bit at a time slowly while continuing to whisk vigorously! When the sauce is nearly finished add your thyme and any salt or pepper to taste.
7. Pour sauce evenly over potato mixture
8. Layer the rest of your potatoes over mixture and sprinkle the remainder of the cheese on top. Place in your oven and bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden on top.
Bon Appetit! Hope you enjoy these. Please feel free to leave feedback or rate this recipe. I would love to hear how they turn out for you! If your looking for more casserole Ideas click here!