Historical Stillwater Minnesota –
Voted one of the prettiest towns in America by Forbes
Stillwater Minnesota may have been voted as one of Americas prettiest town by Forbes Magazine, but to us Native Minnesotans Historical Stillwater Minnesota is the ultimate weekend getaway! It’s also the location of the 2016-17 Ice Castle!
There is so much to do in Stillwater Minnesota. This quaint little town sits on the St. Croix River Valley that boarders Hudson Wisconsin and Minnesota. Just minutes away from St. Paul and Minneapolis, Stillwater is considered part of Twin Cities metro. It’s the perfect place for a day trip or weekend getaway and literally has something that will peak everyone’s fancy!
Even though Stillwater is not the oldest city in Minnesota, it is considered the birthplace of Minnesota. The territorial convention declaring Minnesota a state in 1858 was held in Stillwater. Settlers started coming to Stillwater dating back to 1837. They were drawn by the forest and abundance of lumber that could be transported via the St. Croix. It dates back 10 years before Minneapolis became a City, which is why Stillwater holds such historic value in this state.
Historic Stillwater Minnesota is known for its charm and beautiful scenery. It’s also an antique collector’s paradise with dozens of shops full of yesteryears treasures. My favorite of course is the Pubs. You won’t fall short on places to eat and drink the night away in Stillwater. They are known for some of the best summer nightlife in the state. If you’re an outdoor adventurist, this is the perfect location for kayaking, hiking, biking, and just about anything you can think of.
Things to do in Stillwater are endless, they are perfect for a romantic weekend away, family days, solo trips, girls weekends and more.
Places to stay
There are several places to stay surrounding Stillwater but to get that old-world charm in the heart of the town is Water Street Inn. The Water street Inn overlooks the St. Croix. The hotel is redesigned from the original bank of Stillwater and every room is unique.
Rivertown inn – Another oldy worldly charming place to stay just 10 minutes’ walk from the center of town
What to do while you’re there
1. Trolley tours with Stillwater Trolley Company
2. Riverboat cruise tours with St. Croix Boat & Packet Co.
3. Walking tours with Foodies on Foot
4. Romantic gondola tour with Gondola romantic
5. Brewery tours with the lift bridge brewing company or my favorite Joseph Wold Brewery Cave Tours and Maple Island Brewery
6. Antique, specialty and unique boutiques to shop till your hearts content
7. Wine Tasting at St. Croix Vineyards or Northern Vineyards and Winery
8. Family fun at Teddy Bear Park
9. Walk, bike or hike at Brown’s Creek Trail for beautiful scenery or camp at Pine Point Regional Park with Gateway Trail access to Brown’s Creek
10. History tours at Washington County Historic Courthouse and Wardens House Museum
11. Enjoy a Spa day at Just for Me Spa or Brick Alley Studio of Message and Bodywork
12. Unique Dinner Experience with The Murder Mystery Company or fine dining on the Zephyr Dinner Train
Stillwater really is a unique little town with all the charm of old world meets new world. You will find endless things to do beyond some of the activists already listed. There is a tremendous abundance of choices for Dining, grabbing a glass of wine, or boozing the night away and you don’t have to walk far.
Planning a Trip to Minnesota? Be sure to put Stillwater on your Radar, you won’t be disappointed!