Parmesan Crusted Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini
Amazing! After finishing up filling my boots with this delightful dish, I catch myself being amazed by how good it taste. Honestly, the stuffed zucchini was so freaking good! The taste is very similar to Lasagna only without the ricotta or cottage cheese. Might have to try that the next time I make this dish! I use ground pork with some Italian seasoning rather than Italian sausage but you can use either But Make sure when you buy your sausage to check for fillers and carb counts. Also when you pick up the crushed tomatoes make sure to check the label. Not all can goods are created equal and you have to find one with no added sugar if you are trying to follow a low carb diet.
Step 1 is preparing your Zucchini for stuffing! Cut 3 medium zucchini's in half and scoop out the center creating a well to put your stuffing. Lightly salt the insides of your zucchini and turn over and let sit for 20 minutes. This helps reduce the moisture so your zucchini isn't soggy. After 20 minutes blot with a paper towel to take out any excess moisture. Using a basting brush, coat the entire insides and tops of your zucchini with basil infused olive oil. You can use regular olive oil but the basil one is so yummy! Then with 1/4 of your Parmesan cheese sprinkle the inside of the zucchini over the top of the oil. Pop those babies in the oven at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes until they are golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Step 2 is preparing the sausage stuffing. In a frying pan brown your ground pork or sausage. Add in 1 clove of chopped garlic and 2 shallots chopped. Once fully browned, remove from heat and add in your can of crushed tomatoes. I like to use the Italian seasoned crushed tomatoes, but make sure to watch the labels for carbs and added sugar. Next add in 1 cup of shredded mozzarella and mix together well. Lay your zucchini out on a baking sheet and fill them with the sausage mixture. I a small bowl combine 2 tbsp of almond flour with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the top of your sausage zucchini's. The topping gives your stuffed zucchini a nice crisp crunchy taste. Pop back in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and ready to serve. The recipe serves 6 with serving size being 1/2 of a zucchini, and believe me, unless your starving, 1/2 is enough because they are so filling.
Bon Appetit! Hope you enjoy these. Please feel free to leave feedback or rate this recipe. I would love to hear how they turn out for you! Click here for more Low Carb & Keto Recipes!
- 6 Medium Zucchini
- 1 lb Ground Pork or Italian Sausage (read label for fillers)
- 2 Shallots chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 3 Tbsp Basil Infused Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Almond Flour
- 1 14 oz Can Crushed Tomatoes (I usually get the Italian seasoned tomatoes)
- ½ Tsp Salt
- Garlic Salt to Taste
- Cut zucchini in half and scoop out the center. Lightly salt the inside of zucchini and tip upside down and let sit for 20 minutes to drain. After 20 minutes blot with a paper towel to take out any excess moisture.
- Using a basting brush, coat the inside of your zucchini halves with the basil infused olive oil.
- Sprinkle about ¼th of your Parmesan over the olive oil, coating the zucchini and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until the cheese is golden. Remove from heat and let cool.
- While your zucchini is baking place your sausage, 1 clove chopped garlic and 2 chopped shallots in your frying pan and brown your sausage.
- Once thoroughly browned add in 1 can of crushed tomatoes and 1 cup of shredded mozzarella. Mix well.
- Scoop your sausage mixture into your zucchini halves.
- In a small bowl combine 2 tbsp of almond flour with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Top of your zucchini with the cheese mixture and place back in the oven for 20 minutes or until the top cheese is golden and crispy.
- Remove from heat and ready to serve.